- More than 100 million years old the fossilised imprint left by a dinosaur found in a quarry on Purbeck and now on display at the Tithe Barn museum in Swanage
- Enjoying the good weather experienced during the first half of the month, navigating the back lanes from Kimmeridge Bay to Corfe Castle
- Less than 1 year old new-born lambs explore the fields on Purbeck to the south of Langton Matravers
- The Early Spider Orchid (Ophrys sphegodes) comes into flower for only a brief few weeks during April, nationally rare Dorset is one of the few locations where it can be found
- Nearly 2000 years old the agger of the Roman road Ackling Dyke still prominent in the fields near Pentridge
The pictures of Dorset in April in this gallery were captured at high resolution.
All photographs copyright © 19982003 John Allen